Tuesday 10 March 2009


Potato Cakes
Potato Cake recipe as promised!

  • 7-8 oz mashed potatoes
  • 4 oz self raising flour
  • 2 oz butter
Boil potatoes until soft and no more. (If you make them too soft you will have soggy potato cakes!) Rub butter into flour, until it resembles bread crumbs. Add potatoes to flour mix and mash well with a fork. Form the mix into flat cakes with your hand. Fry in olive oil or butter till brown on both sides.

We had these for lunch with fried eggs, fresh laid from our two hens! Absolutely delicious. Another favourite is mashed potatoes spread out in a pan to form a large potato cake. This is fried on both sides, with the minimum of oil, till it is crusty on both sides. My stepfather's mother came from the Highlands, and she called this a shevock (don't know spelling!) We fight over the crusty bits!
Enjoy!
tich

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm...sounds good! I love potato cakes, but I can never get them to come out right. I'm definitely going to try this recipe!

    Do the potatoes need to be peeled before boiling? Could I use the little red ones with the skins on do you think?

    Thank you so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! this recipe sounds yummy :^)
    Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother (from Banbridge, No. Ireland, used to make me what she called 'slim' or 'boxty'. The recipe looks the same as yours, except she would cook them in bacon drippings....yum.
    With fried mushies and tomatoes.

    Linda Pincus
    Worcester, MA. USA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm - now that is my kind of dish! No wonder mine don't turn out - I bet I boil mine too long!

    ReplyDelete