Monday, 4 May 2009

Penny Wool Kit

I bought a penny wool kit off one of the sewing sale sites recently. The kit had all the wool, templates etc. in it, all I had to do was felt the wool, cut out the shapes and sew it together. The kit was supposed to be hand sewn, using cotton perle and buttonhole stitch. I thought it would take me forever and a day to complete, so I decided I would use my Bernina, King Tut Thread and No. 161 stitch. I tried a lot of samples, and wrote down a lot of notes (see previous blog about how I keep a record of what I make), before I was happy(ish). I never think I am very good on the machine, but I try. Above is the centre of the rug. I placed the shapes down and then stitched around using the black thread, top and bottom. I got a better result when I stitched slowly and had the needle right over to the right, with the stitch mirror imaged. The rug was then backed with another piece of cream felt and blanket stitched all the way round. The outer stitching was quite difficult, as the machine had no felt to stitch into on the outside edge.

I then had to cut out 24 small, coloured pennies and 48 larger, cream pennies (24 for backing). These proved more difficult to sew, as they were much smaller. I have now completed all the machine sewing, but the pennies do not fit round the circumference of the rug. There is a gap, probably because of the machine sewing. I have a plan, which I hope to try out in the next few days. Keep your fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment