Monday 4 July 2011

Videos and Apology


I thought you would like to see one of our sheep and the ram being shorn by one of our friends. Ian is in great demand to shear the sheep on the island. We were given these sheep last year as 'caddy lambs'. A caddy lamb is a lamb that has been rejected by its mother, or the sheep has had a multiple birth and cannot cope with all the mouths to feed. We (or should I say my husband) hand reared the lambs. The ram was supposed to have been 'done', but he grew into an imposing beast and fathered twin lambs this year! One of the twins was rejected, so we started hand feeding again, and got some more caddy lambs for company.



I am sorry I have been off Blogger for so long. My patchwork friend Pat died recently. I have known Pat for more than thirty five years. She was like a second Mum to me and was a great support when my own lovely Mum died. She was great fun, a fantastic sewer,  a font of knowledge and I loved her dearly. She will be sadly missed.


My father-in-law also died two weeks ago. He was suffering with Alzheimer's, and came to live with us before it was properly diagnosed. Unfortunately he did not like living in Orkney, as he had lived in Glasgow for sixty years, and missed the hustle and bustle of city life (if we get two cars in a row, it is a traffic jam!) Dad was an extremely intelligent man, who helped and cared for people throughout his life. He will be sadly missed as well.


Sorry this has been a sad post, but things are definitely more cheerful now. We have new lambs, ducklings and goslings, I have been out in the studio and the sun is shining. What more can you ask for?
Till next time.
tich

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss of your dear father in law and your good friend Pat. You've had such a sad time lately.

    Great videos Tich :) That must be a back aching job to do. Oh I heard Raymond's remark about the ram, LOL... just caught it. I look forward to seeing what you do with all that gorgeous wool! hugs Elly

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about your father in law and your friend. May you treasure the good memories of them both.

    We had sheep when our daughters were young and they showed them in 4-H. We had about 20-30 ewes and the baby lambs were so much fun to watch. It is amazing how they can jump straight up in the air and then chase each other round and round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi from the Shetland Isles!
    Just found your blog so I'll be following to keep up with island life and all your hobbies and interests.
    Please visit me at Stitched Up in Sleepy Hollow where I blog about life and my quilting attempts!!
    I have just started a cycling blog too as I aim to get fit after 50!!
    Hope to catch up with you soon.
    Kate
    Shetland Isles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to read all the sad news. On the other hand I truly enjoyed watching the sheep shearing. I couldn't believe how still they were considering! But I always feel sorry for the sheep when they are "naked"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for the recent loss of your Father In Law, and your dear friend Pat. You've had a lot on your plate these last couple of months.

    I really enjoyed watching the sheep shearing. i've only seen it in movies. Very interesting. Is this the wool that you spin? you are amazing with all you do.
    Hugs,
    Cyn; -)

    ReplyDelete