Friday 12 July 2013

I Spy Finished (photo heavy)


You might remember last month that I was teasing you about something I was making (here). It was, of course, and I Spy quilt, and I was making it for my granddaughter's birthday. I was making it with some of the wonderful material I received from quilters all over the world, when my sister died. I thought I had better start early, as I was still not feeling very well, and I wanted to take my time.

I cut out lots of lovely squares, ...

...and sewed them into nine patches. No, these squares are sewn correctly, because ...

...I was making a disappearing nine patch,... 

... to make quick blocks!  

I layed out all the blocks, once I had them made,... 

 and then I numbered the rows. I was trying to get the different materials spaced out, but was not concerned about the self-coloured material.




I had some really quirky material for the backing. I sandwiched it and quilted it on the machine. I quilted it with straight lines, but with random spacing in between. Some of the lines were a bit wobbly, but I don't think my granddaughter will notice. 



The binding was made from the self-coloured material, in random lengths. 
 

I bought a packet of hair clips, and used these to hold the binding, whilst I was sewing it down. They were great, and only cost me £1.20 for 30 clips!!

Below are some pictures of the quilt. 












One of the ladies included some labels, so I used one as well.




I hope my granddaughter likes it.

I  am sorry I cannot name the ladies who gave me the material. I made up an Excel file with all the details, but both my computer and my backup external hard drive crashed in the same week, and I lost most of my files.
But THANK YOU again!!

Till next time.
tich xx








1 comment:

  1. Wow!! 'Tis a glorious quilt you have stitched tich. Your grandaughter will be enthralled for hours on end just looking at all the interesting fabrics. I love, love, love the bright and cheery backing fabric....and what a superb idea by using hair clips to hold the binding in place. 'Tis a magical quilt filled with whimsy, colour and love. Your grandaughter will be waxing lyrical forevermore about the beautiful quilt that her grandma fashioned for her!!

    ReplyDelete